Best Single Wheel Bike Trailer
As with most inexpensive bike trailers, single wheel trailers attach to the pinion, on the wheel at the rear of the bike, to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.
This type of bicycle trailer can transport loads of up to 50 kg. Delivered with waterproof bags of about 60L to 150L in volume, these trailers are ideal for traveling on a bicycle and keeping items or food safe from the elements when camping.
The best one-wheel bicycle trailer: The Original Bike
The Bike Original single-wheel bicycle trailer is both a great success and good value for money like its baby version. Robust, flexible, and delivered with an elegant and waterproof design bag, this folding single-wheel bicycle trailer with bag from Bike Original is really fun to see as much as to handle.
Delivered unassembled, it takes 30 minutes to assemble it. Once this step has been completed, all you have to do is attach the supplied fasteners to each end of the rear of the bicycle wheel. This type of two-hitch system is mandatory on single-wheel trailers so that they can keep the direction given by the bike as much as possible.
The bag supplied with the single-wheel trailer is higher than this one (57cm). Comes with two fasteners, you can use this bag without using the trailer. The different models below are also of good quality, but I really fell in love with the impression of robustness that this single wheel gives when used. In addition to this, you need to know more about it.
One-wheel bicycle trailer for long journeys: the Topeak
The Topeak bicycle trailer is the most expensive in our ranking. This model is quite simply exceptional. Superior quality and very light, this single-wheel trailer also comes with a waterproof bag with effective closures.
The trailer itself is very strong and easy to assemble. You can do several thousand kilometers with it per month without any wear being able to slow you down in your use of the trailer.
This is the best model in this review of the best bike trailers, but its price being a drag for most people, I didn’t place it in the top 1 of this guide.
One-wheel bicycle trailer for the city: the Vector Polirone
Can carry up to 45 kg this little bike trailer single wheel is handy for occasional trips. The Vector bag delivered with it can also be carried by hand with the straps or on the shoulders even if its volume is only 54L.
This single- wheel bike trailer is successful, at least during my tests. I was nevertheless able to read on the web that certain faults in the assembly appeared on certain models (apparently I am spared). Also note that this single- wheel bicycle trailer is not suitable for all terrain .
M-Wave Single Track 40 Bicycle Luggage Trailer
The M-WAVE single-wheel trailer, with a sportier profile than the Original Bike, is also easy to assemble and quite light which is absolute comfort when pedaling: you don’t feel it and even loaded at 30 kilos, in avoiding hills, we do not feel any particular fatigue due to this single- wheel bicycle trailer.
Very flexible and easy to install on the axle of the rear wheel of the bike being quite inexpensive, some faults may be apparent (I noticed fairly regular squeaking in the bends, problem solved by sticking rubber seals). In addition to this, you will need to know more about it.
The bag is resistant and waterproof (but don’t expect too much rain anyway) with a capacity of 115 liters, 130 for the bare trailer. This single wheel is also delivered with a yellow flag. It can also be used as a bike trailer for carrying your dog, although some bike trailers with 2 wheels for dogs exist.
Single-wheel bike trailer for traveling / off-road: the Bob Ibex gold
The Bob Ibex bicycle trailer is a single wheel known for its versatility. Evolution of the Bob Yak trailer of the same brand (similar model but without shock absorbers), the Ibex can transport more than 40 kg in a completely waterproof way thanks to its bag with a capacity close to 94L.
This single wheel model is available in MTB and Hybrid version (your choice). Made with lightweight but reliable materials, the Ibex single-wheel trailer fears no conditions.
You can easily cover more than 100 km per day with this trailer behind your bike: the sensations of lightness are guaranteed with the Ibex + I have never felt any discomfort when driving it, it is really top level (but also a bit expensive, it is true).
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose a single-wheel bicycle trailer?
Before answering this question, let’s see what this type of bicycle trailer is made of. Different from cargo bike trailers or baby bike trailers, single wheel bike trailers are distinguished by the presence of a single wheel.
In general, the design of a single wheel trailer is simple, so it should be as light as possible so as not to interfere with the movement of the rear wheel of the bicycle. Such a trailer can support up to 40 kg of equipment and minimizes the driver’s feel in relation to this weight. He can drive in complete freedom while fully controlling his bike.
It is made with forged metal or with wood, of good quality, and absolute rigidity. The wheel of a single-wheel bicycle trailer is thick, at about 20 inches; it manages the irregularities of the surfaces traveled. The rims are aerodynamic, which is why they resist and adhere to the multiple imperfections of the wheel that the cyclist may encounter, unlike some models of bicycle trailers for dogs.
Why choose a single-wheel bicycle trailer?
Thanks to single-wheel bicycle trailers, you can free yourself from bulky loads that you have to carry on a bicycle trip. The majority of the weight involved is on the wheel side of the trailer, not the side of the bicycle in question.
Since the center of gravity is a few inches from the ground, the bike remains stable and balanced while the single-wheel bike trailer feels lighter compared to the movement of the bike .
This type of bicycle trailer therefore replaces the luggage rack or the baby bicycle seat. With a single wheel trailer, it becomes very easy to transport with both heavy and bulky items.
The single wheel trailer is dedicated to travelers and hikers. Nowadays, we cannot find a better proposition of portage for a bicycle. Usually, these trailers do not weigh much and their weight does not mean much to have a significant effect on the movement of the bicycle. In addition to this, you need to know more about it.
Assembly and uninstallation of a single-wheel bicycle trailer
As a general rule, all single wheel bicycle trailers have the same materials, except that some brands may add additional components. Here is the list of what we should find in the box:
- A frame which is the main beam
- One 16 inch wheel
- The Safety Flag
- The support bar found in the frame
- The transport bag
- Fixing straps
The steps to install a single-wheel trailer on your bike:
- We start by lifting the side panels by positioning them vertically.
- Here we use the support bar to hold them in place. Normally the backrest has a wedge for resting the support bar, usually this is a tuck towards the bottom of the trailer.
- We insert the two ends of the bar and we use the elements dedicated to inking. These materials are easy to remove, but must be properly secured to properly hold the support bar.
- Then we place the roof on the frame, if there is one. To fix it, we attach the corners with buttons, fasteners or velcro, with the corners of the side panels.
- To install the wheel, first remove the two protective end caps located on either side of the wheel. Then, we insert each corner in the holes dedicated for this purpose, they are in the middle of the trailer. The wheel must be very stable and therefore well inserted.
- The assembly is continued by inserting the ends of the side bars into each end of the frame rods. It is very important that the side bar remains in balance and comes to a complete stop.
- After that, the tires are inflated (if they are not yet inflated, of course!). Note that on a tire, we must find specifications concerning inflation.
How to assemble a single-wheel bicycle trailer?
Here is a list of useful actions to know to properly install a single wheel bike trailer:
- To begin with, the trailer is tilted towards the ground, from the rear. The rod that holds the arm of the trailer is removed. We call this rod, the “quick release” rod, precisely because it is easily removed to free the arm of the machine. Then we tilt the arm of the trailer and keep this position.
- We remove after the element which is used to join the trailer with the bicycle, this one is at the end of the arm of the trailer.
- We fix the element in the nut of the rear wheel of the bike, we are talking about the left nut. Then, the end of the arm of the trailer is reattached to the part which is already attached to the nut. To assemble everything, replace the quick release rod.
- On the bike side, we put the safety clip in place in the frame of the rear wheel, while avoiding entangling it with the spokes.
- Check that the clip does not contain any fibers that interfere with the spokes.
Bike trailer single wheel or two wheels?
After all these steps, your bike trailer is finally ready for departure. But before setting off, you must pay close attention to certain rules and precautions to avoid damage and to fully enjoy your bike trip, with complete peace of mind and in complete freedom.
Indeed, unlike 2-wheel bicycle trailers for children or dogs, single-wheel bicycle trailers are lighter and less stable than the best bicycle trailers. Here are some driving warnings that set them apart from other 2-wheel bike trailers. Here they are :
- Do not neglect the maximum weight supported by the trailer. As a general rule, it should not exceed 40 kg. However, the loading capacity is 26kg, be careful not to exceed these limits. Enough room to install a cheap baby tricycle.
- The tools required for assembly are provided. It is strictly forbidden to replace or add other parts during installation, as with any other towing bike carrier.
- Pay attention to the grab bar of your trolley, never put your equipment on it.
- Respect the maximum speed of the trailer, which is 15 to 18 km / h, according to what is written in the manual. So do not abuse your bike, a trailer should not be installed for a marathon or similar adventure.
- Although the trailer has an air-filled wheel, designed to withstand bumpy roads, don’t overdo it. Avoid rocky surfaces and especially dangerous paths. You risk a big accident.
- Attention, be in the rules, wear a helmet authorized by inspection according to standard DIN1078.
- A single-wheel bicycle trailer is not dedicated to carrying a child, unlike a baby bicycle trailer.
- Never park next to a slope or a dangerous place, and for you, your bike and the trailer.
- The tires should be checked quite often, as the performance of the trailer and its resistance depends on the tire pressure.
- Do not venture to ride without having checked that everything is in order, whether on the side of the trailer or that of the bicycle. Above all, check that they are well attached to each other. Always do a test run for a few meters before you leave.
- Regarding the turns, or even the slopes, you must know how to control your handlebars. As it supports both your weight and that of the trailer, it does get a bit heavier, although this shouldn’t change your riding style or your ease.
- Finally, as a general warning, keep it out of the reach of children.
How to store a single wheel bicycle trailer?
To disassemble your single-wheel bicycle trailer, you can reverse the assembly steps starting with the last one. Be careful, don’t rush. The trailer must be stored in a dry and secure place. Do not expose it to the sun. To fold the single-wheel trailer, depending on the brand, the manual gives instructions for folding. In addition to this, you need to know more about it.
Most of the single- wheel bike trailer models on this guide are foldable. The process is very simple and even easier than with dog bike trailers or foldable bicycle carts.
When folded, you can easily store your trailer in a narrower place, such as your car’s roof box.Be careful not to knock it with other tools, you risk damaging the frame which is the essential element for carrying your bicycle travel equipment.
The bag of a single-wheel bicycle trailer
For a trailer, the packaging also contains a transport bag. The main thing is that this bag is waterproof and can protect your equipment from the elements. In general, the bag is 77 cm long, 34 cm wide and 57 cm high. In addition to this, you will need to know more about it.
This type of bag closes with one or more zippers and has straps to securely attach it to the trailer. In addition to this, you will need to know more about it.
How far can a single-wheel bicycle trailer travel?
A single- wheel bicycle trailer can travel up to 2000km . Since it is intended for bicycle travel, so you can take it with you wherever you go. On the other hand, some trailers do not tolerate a journey of more than 1500km.
One can for example notice a play on the axis of the wheel, it can wear out by driving on a road for several hours. As you are obliged to check the pressure of the wheel when you can, you will notice its condition and take precautions such as a short break for example.
This is because single wheel bicycle trailers are less durable than other types of bicycle equipment such as children’s bicycle trailers that have seat post attachments .
How to maintain a single wheel bicycle trailer?
Before each ride, you must check the tightness of each part of your single- wheel bicycle trailer. But the maintenance after every ride should also be taken seriously.
Clean your trailer with soapy water. Be careful, some parts do not withstand contact with water, beyond ten minutes, especially for single-wheel bicycle trailers which have a wooden beam. Do not use any other chemicals. Dry your trailer well with a soft cloth. In addition to this, you will need to know more about it.
You must regularly lubricate the metal parts so that they do not get rusty. Also, in contact with each other, more precisely those at the junction between the trailer and the bicycle, the metal parts can get rusty more quickly.
If your single- wheel bike trailer has wooden parts, you need to service it often enough to ensure its lifespan. But once a year, you better paint it with transparent varnish to protect it against atmospheric attacks and shocks.
Repeated rubbing can also degrade wood, although it is strong and stiff. Don’t be fooled by its quality, everything has its limit. Wood exposed too often, especially in rainy regions, deteriorates more quickly. Use a polyurethane varnish for the wooden parts. To do this, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Completely disassemble the trailer.
- Sand the wooden surface to better store the new varnish on the old one.
- Apply a first coat and wait until it is dry before applying a second. So you are sure to keep the surface clean until next year.
- Once the varnish is completely dry, reassemble your trailer and avoid any sudden movements, because the varnish is certainly dry, but it is still fragile.
Store your single-wheel bike trailer
To protect your bike trailer single wheel, you must store it in a dry place without constraint other dangerous tools that risk of ridicule or cut ties as for car bike rack . Do not put other heavy tools on top, you risk deforming or breaking it. Finally, we will see how to choose a single wheel bicycle trailer, what are the criteria for a high-end trailer.
Of course, you trust the quality, but also the price. With the one-wheel bicycle trailer, everything is within easy reach. Your travel equipment is quickly accessible and you save more space. You will also feel freer since you don’t have to carry a backpack.
What are the criteria for a good single-wheel bicycle trailer?
- Strong wheels of good quality.
- A beam made with good material that supports a maximum weight of 40 kg.
- A trailer delivered with a bag.
- Strong ties.
- Easy installation.
- A foldable bicycle trailer.